Surf Gear: 7 Must Have Items for Catching Your Next Wave
Life’s a wave, make sure that you have the surf gear you need to take it on. Whether you are a professional or just starting out, don’t forget these must have items.
- Surfboard: This piece of gear goes without saying. You can’t catch much without the proper board. Surfboards come in all shapes and sizes. Find a board (or two) that behaves well in the water based on the kind of waves you’re facing, your size, and your skill level. Check out Breakwater Surf Co.’s variety of brands in store and online!
- Wetsuits: The waters can get a little chilly out there. Keep in mind the seasonal water temperatures in your surf area when purchasing your wetsuit as their thickness can vary. At Breakwater Surf. Co., we carry wetsuits that provide you with quality, warmth, and comfort that won’t break your bank. Check out our West wetsuits for men, women, and kiddos!
- Rash Guard: Rashies stay true to their name as they help protect you from rashes that come from abrasion. They also protect you from the sun. So if you’re out on the water for a while, wear one of these under your wetsuit or on its own.
- Booties: Don’t forget your booties, especially if the climate you are in is shallow and full of reef. Sometimes reef can get in the way of accessing your waves and this piece of surf gear can make it easier for you to get out there and carve.
- Stomp Pad: Have more control! Used on both long and short boards, stomp pads increase your grip and make maneuvering easier. You can find top brands from Famous to Creatures at Breakwater Surf Co.
- Leashes: Leashes are key piece of surf gear that you may want to get a few of, just in case you need a back up! The thickness of your leash can depend on the size of the swells so it’s a smart decision to get yourself a variety. You don’t want your board to escape from you (or hit others) just in case you eat it on a wave.
- Sunscreen: Did you know that one in five people get skin cancer due to being in the sun? The surf lifestyle is filled with abundant sunshine, so don’t forget to lather up on your sun protection. Of course you can’t be a sun bum without our favorite Sun Bum lotions and sprays. Visit us at our Thames St. location in Newport, RI for a full line of specifically formulated and tested sun care products for those who love to play in it.